We enter at the top of the stairway and exit out the small doorway underneath, transformed by what we have seen! Of course we are not allowed to take pictures, so I will just mention that I LOVE the Bernini sculptures, especially the one he did at age 11, APOLLO AND DAPHNE, Proserpina, and the sculpture of the daughter of Borghese, reclining on a settee. For me, sculpture took on new appeal. More about that later...There is also great Baroque and Renaissance art work by Caravaggio, Correggio, Pinturicchio, Barocchi, Rubens, and Titian. One of the most memorable for me is of a tall slender red headed woman wearing only a necklace and large hat. She looks so much like Corinne!! I drag Corinne all the way back through the rooms to show her.
We leave the Palace/Museum with our heads full of the art and sculpture we have just seen. It is thrilling and I welcome some time to think about it.
Part of what is so great about this trip is the opportunity to do it with great friends with similar interests. We take turns reading the maps, pamphlets and guidebooks to each other, sharing ideas and information. Now where are George and Corinne?
A breath-taking fountain is on our left as we walk down the street. The spaces are large, grandiose passing from one piazza to another.
Looking down the Piazza di Spagna, at the Colonna dell Immacolato, a monument to the Immaculate Conception. The Piazza de Spagna is the most famous square in Rome, and has every big name store you can imagine...Gucci, Prada, Armani, all in these incredibly old buildings! We restrain our inclination to shop, but this is where we buy our first gellato. Mine was lemon in a chocolate-dipped cone.
Straight ahead is the home of the poet Keats, at the base of the Spanish Steps, and a different view of the same monument.
So many tourists--not exactly like the flower-laden pictures in the guidebooks, and no sign of Gregory Peck... Audrey Hepburn has all the luck!

The Steps again, but also a great shot of the Trinita dei Monti, the church at the top.
The Steps get narrower as you ascend, and less crowded!

We enjoy the late afternoon sun at the top of the Spanish Steps. I'm still pinching myself. Is this real?
The inside of the Trinita dei Monti, the 16th Century French church at the very top of the Spanish Steps, is so beautiful. How could the Sistine Chapel be any better?


As we walk back toward the Hotel Oxford, we look for a place to get some dinner. A pizzeria along the sidewalk catches our attention with its advertisement: "large back room", and we ask to see it. It is perfect! I have mushroom and ham ravioli with cream sauce--diliciosa. Miles has minestrone soup, also delicious, and the waiter gives each of the women a yellow rose to take with us at the end of the meal. On the way home, one last stop at a pharmacy for some moleskin for Miles' feet, and a picture at the Fontana del Tritone in the Piazza Barberini. Miles has the sack with the moleskin, and I have the yellow rose. What a great day!
I'm loving the updated photos and commentary! Keep it up! xoxo Mers
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine how dad's feet and such felt after doing all of your walking there, and only the first day!! The palace grounds look beautiful--I love the little domed structure with columns and what looks like a pineapple on top!
ReplyDeleteIt was a lovely second day. May I copy a couple of your photos and use on my blog? All of my umbrella pines pics disappeared completely, and I didn't get a good one of the Spanish Steps. Yours are great.
ReplyDelete